logic and the subconscious

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed May 23 16:19:57 PDT 2001

At 03:17 PM 05/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Again, I think you are giving the brats too much credit. Most what they do
>fits one of the follwoing two categories:
>
>1. trying to be popular among peers
>2. trying to piss off everyone else, especially parents & teachers.
>
>The popularity of the attributes you describe can be satisfactorily
>explained by these two factors - no subconscious is needed (remember
>Ockkam's razor?)

Ockkam's razor is a move in a logic game; whether it has any application to reality remains a matter of interpretation. Again, you present a flocking argument, which begs the question and they you try to persuade me against the cultural/social subconscious. I mean, it's not as if teenagers have meetings where they decide exactly what will piss their parents off the most...the fashions just "happen" often in direct opposition to commercial interests.( After jeans became de rigeur, it must have been quite a feat to convince people that they needed hundred dollar jeans; when you could get a pair of Levy Strauss for $16.00.)

Anyway, and what is this thing about "brats"?

Joanna