SUVs

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Wed May 23 16:30:02 PDT 2001

At 00:18 24-05-01, Gordon wrote:

>There is probably some flocking, but the SUV is so incongruous
>in its usual context that some further explanation seems called
>for. One thing I think is significant is that the marketing-
>psychology material (some just quoted) primarily notices anxiety
>and hostility as major elements in vehicle choice. The minivan
>is a womb-like shell; the SUV, a sort of military weapon.

The liberal's answer to the basement arsenal? Perhaps?

At 00:15 24-05-01, Dennis P wrote:

>Speaking as one surrounded by these fucking things, I must agree with
>wojtek. Here in southeastern Michigan, SUVs run rampant. Most are driven by
>housefraus who haven't the slightest idea how to steer the beast or keep it
>within a lane (especially when they are on the cell).

And those Hausfraus are the ones causing all the accidents with "the beast", aren't they, Dennis (really, only men should be allowed to handle beasts).

Watch out for 'em raging female hormones, babe, it's a dangerous world out there.

At 03:05 24-05-01, dd wrote:

>--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote: > At 03:53 PM 5/23/01 +0100,
>daniel d. wrote:
> >
> > Au contraire - flocks do not emerge spontaneously. Flocking is a highly
> > institutionalized behaviour - shaped by norms, expectations, routines and
> > precednets (aka "sunk cost"), power relations etc.
>
>really? despite having grown up surrounded by sheep, I had not previously
>realised that they had such a complex inner life.

British sheep are notoriously bad at flocking (not being impressed by the sunk...or the stranded). Since enclosure and the wiping out of wolves there's been little to fear which would bring them together.

And after all, it's fear, in one form or another (call it power relations if you will, in the case of SUVs it may be more like codependency) that causes animals to flock.

Joanna S.

P.S. While we're on sheep, Gary asks:
> >I should not be a problem. Mike Tyson bit part of an ear off and I heard it
> >is the common sheep sterilization method.
>
>I probably shouldn't ask this question, but...who's going around biting off
>sheep's balls?

That *was* a weird statement. Standard (not to say preferred) methods are a ten-second crushing job with a burdizzo, or -- slow but less painful -- an elastic band.

www.overlookhouse.com