doctor disease redux

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Wed May 23 18:30:22 PDT 2001

At 02:53 24-05-01, you wrote:
>At 09:23 AM 5/23/01 -0800, Marta R. wrote:
> >A 10 year old child--who has been prescribed psychotropic drugs since
> >age 3-- now suffers brain damage --tardive dyskinesia, a common adverse
> >consequence of neuroleptic drugs in adults. The child was "diagnosed" at
> >age 3 as having "conduct disorder" --whatever that means... Powerful
>

>Marta, please spare us that tripe.

Right, Wojtek. Acc. to the USA Today article Marta cited, "the drug industry spent $5.3 billion last year on advertising in physicians journals and sending sales representatives on office visits [, and] sponsored more than 314,000 physician 'events' last year, ranging from catered lunches in hospital conference rooms to getaway weekends at resorts [at a cost of] nearly $2 billion". But if, in spite of all the prompting and freebies, the medical establishment is beginning to realise that bathing childrens' brains in toxins may not be the best way to ensure their proper development, that's *gotta* be tripe. Especially if it's reported by those voices for the sandal-and-bead wearing community, CBS News and USA Today.

Though I tend to be of the old-fashioned firm-but-fair school of child caring (I've none of my own but have been responsible for a few), I sympathise with parents when their kids are unruly. I'm sure, too, that there are exceptional cases that benefit from psychotropic drugs. But making common practice of adding Risperdal, Prozac, etc., to the strange blend of chemicals (some of which have been blamed for unruly behaviour) that your modern kid already ingests, ranges from the stupidly irresponsible to the criminal in my book. Fer chrissakes, in the case of Risperdal even the manufacturer doesn't promote it (though they stop short of recommending against it)! But it's another one of those win-in-the-short-term-at-any-cost solutions we're so familiar with, innit.

Interesting that the Feds, who cheerfully spend untold millions of taxpayers' dollars wiping out poppy growers in Columbia, incarcerating Blacks for possessing small amounts of crack and making sure people with AIDS can't get hold of pot, allow drug companies to sell antipsychotics with impunity to parents who want to silence their loudmouthed kids.

It's a wonderful world.

Joanna S.

www.overlookhouse.com