the post-literate society

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Wed May 23 20:47:58 PDT 2001

Yeah, I know, Carrol, that's the way with oral epics. Is it okay if (sacrificing a little accuracy for a good line) I called it memorizing books? The point is, if modern-day children's (or adults') habits included committing thousands of lines of poetry to memory, I don't think we'd call them aliterate.

cheers, Joanna S.

www.overlookhouse.com