doctor disease redux

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Thu May 24 07:39:51 PDT 2001

Please, Wojtek, I am a mandated reporter under Article Ten of the New York State Family Court Act. At work I have a logbook full of the reports I have made over the last 17 years. It is not completely, but mostly, urban legend to assume that normal child discipline leads to the inappropriate consequences you mention. More legitimate reports do sometimes lead to maladroit and sometimes quite unfortunate responses, but usually where there's smoke there's fire.

With that said, I should mention another part of my professional function which is to assist in evaluation of ADHD kids (whatever ADHD is, it is something, Peter). There are some who are really dangerous, though very young. I met one kindergartner, for example, that we had to hospitalize. His mother was a recent immigrant, and didn't know how to get help when she found, when he was three, that she had to hide the kitchen knives so as to protect the family while they slept. Instead she only got help when he went to school and the school got scared of him and sent him in to the emergency room He was openly homicidal. "Kids being kids" doesn't cover all of reality.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema