Medicating children

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu May 24 11:25:05 PDT 2001

joanna bujes wrote:

> 1) We live in an industrialized/fragile environment which makes it almost
> impossible for children to be children....to have energy and to expend
> their energy. If you have a dog, you give it a yard and a walk every day. A
> lot of children don't even get that. They're in school behind a desk all
> day long and then they come to their tastefully furnished house where one
> or more overworked adults want to relax rather than deal with
> "hyperkinetic" children.

Yes and lets recognize that the public schools have cut back on physical education programs some 40% or so -- this was at least one hour kids got to run and work some of their energy off.

> 3) We make kids sit all day, all the while feeding them chemicals and
> sugar. I've had lunch with my daughter's second grade class; I'm not making
> this up. Then we're surprised they're full of restless energy.

Also in my day the sugar corporations were not allowed to sell candy bars in vending machines at schools, now they are everywhere and people wonder why we have an epidemic of overweight children (which can turn into diabetes) in this country?

> This is all to say that there are many factors in what we call children's
> "hyperactivity" and only a small amount that has anything to do with
> abnormal physiology. A friend of mine with a "hyperactive" child controlled
> the situation basically by controlling the sugar/chemicals in his diet.

I have seen the same postive results from lowering sugar intake. However, with the vending machines at school this is impossible for parents to control. Organizing against these harmful corporate policies will take a united effort. so far I don't see many parents making the connections, so when the doc says put him on Ritalin that is what they unfortunately usually do.

Thanks for your insights.