On the re-translation into German of Gramsci

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu May 24 23:38:13 PDT 2001

At 24/05/01 16:07 -0300, you wrote:

Very interesting example of drift of meaning expressed in the problems of bridging translations.

Gramsci took civil society to be an arena of struggle with important possibilities. Whereas as Robert Magellan argues here, the term was mainly negative for Marx.

What I would appreciate is also a brief comment on how Marx contrasting the buerger and the citoyen, to understand better whether he saw a positive role in what might more loosely be called civil society.

Chris Burford