logic and the subconscious

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri May 25 02:55:04 PDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> of the scientific approach to philosophy--in fact, I think that analytical
> philosophy of science is one of the monuments of 20th century thought.

Really? What has the analytical philosophy of science -- we'll call it APS for short -- achieved which other approaches haven't? This is a serious question; my impression is that the natural sciences have their own semi-autonomous fields, whose rules have to be at least provisionally respected as works of collective labor, but that the validity of those fields is limited to the object in question, in the same way that aesthetic judgements are tied to the works they analyze. Or are you referring to the ethics of science, as opposed to its cognitions?

-- Dennis