The Left, The Public, was Re: Ideology....

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri May 25 17:07:28 PDT 2001

> Ian and Carrol,
>
> At 00:01 26-05-01, Ian wrote:
>
> > > But maybe the expression of anti-SUV sentiment is really an
attack
> >on a
> > > symptom of the distortion of values under capitalism.
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > Joanna S.
> >What are the undistorted values of which capitalism wreaks havoc?
>
> You're implying that all values are distorted, are you? Never mind.
Take
> loyalty, which, under capitalism, is more likely to be expressed (as
dd
> joked the other day) in the form of brand loyalty than loyalty to
other people. ============== Joanna,

No, that's not what I was implying, but I do agree with your response. What I was intimating with my minimalism was the problems we face in saying capitalism distorts some values. We certainly can't blame capitalism directly when people don't manifest loyalty, whether to kin or others who are "deserving", because it doesn't seem to me we can blame "it" for everything, because then we're on the slippery slope to agentless structure or structuration so dominating "real" agency can't break out of it. It also suggests that there is some form of possible society where no values are distorted. What would that mean? What is the baseline of non-distortion with which to make judgements regarding distortions? It's kind of like the old idea that tragedy isn't the conflict of good vs. evil but conflicting goods that aren't always compossible in all the contexts we wish were realizable.

Ian