US alternative to Kyoto

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat May 26 05:25:59 PDT 2001

At 25/05/01 00:54 -0400, you wrote:
>U.S. to present EU with Kyoto alternative
>
>http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index-e.htm
>
>Kazuo Nagata and Makiko Tatebayashi Yomiuri Shimbun Correspondents
>
>The United States is expected to present its alternatives to the 1997 Kyoto
>Protocol to cut greenhouse gas emissions at a June 14 summit between the
>United States and the European Union in Goteborg, Sweden, U.S. government
>and European diplomatic sources said Wednesday.
>
>According to the sources, the U.S. alternative outline will adhere to market
>principles, such as in its inclusion of a mechanism that will allow
>industrialized countries to buy emission reductions from developing
>countries.

Reactionary and blatantly hegemonistic though I think the Bush administration is, this last proposal could have progressive features:

1) it would be a way of transferring social value to the less developed countries

2) it would recognise and manage the global economy as a global unit.

Chris Burford

London