Marshall Wittmann

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat May 26 11:06:22 PDT 2001

I've never debated, or to be more precise, had verbal exchanges with him. There was a piece about him in the Post a few months ago, and I've heard him on NPR. He comes up with these sappy sound-bites that pass for wit in D.C., not unlike borscht-belt one-liners but less funny.

The quotes you cite actually are statements I agree with, but as everyone knows I'm a kook myself.

mbs

Marshall Wittmann, of Washington's conservative Hudson Institute was quoted twice in today's New York Times. He sounds like a kook. Max Sawicky, have you butted heads with this guy?

First, he's quoted in the cover story about the Democrats taking over the Senate committee chairs:

""Democrats taking over the committes in the Senate is the equivalent of the Bolsheviks taking over from the czar during the Russian Revolution," said Marshall Wittmann, a conservative analyst for the Hudson Institute. "It's less about legislation and more about the show, what is going to be highlighted front and center. What is going to be showcased. It will be the Democratic agenda. And that is very important."

And Frank Rich quotes him in Rich's column on Pearl Harbor: "As Marshall Wittmann, of Washington's conservative Hudson Institute, says: "Both parties have reversed J.F.K. Their mantra is 'Ask not what you can do for your country, but rather what can your country do for your stock portfolio/benefit package.'""

Peter