"Happy Memorial Day, Mr. Kissinger"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 28 17:54:08 PDT 2001

"Peter K." wrote:

> [I doubt the police officials described it as "iron rule." Victor's justice,
> Yoshie?]

I don't recall where the "iron rule" phrase comes from, but that it is a case of "Victor's justice," is clear from the following paragraph:

"A summons to appear as a witness was delivered to a hotel in Paris where Kissinger is currently staying, the officials said. Kissinger, who served as secretary of state under Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, is in the French capital on a private visit. He is under no legal obligation to answer the summons."

Why did the French wait for Kissinger to be in Paris, and why is he free to testify or not as he chooses? Why didn't they send a commando team to the U.S. to kidnap him? That is how the U.S. got Noriega. And what right does a French court to try Chilean citizens for crimes committed in Chile? Combine the French and the Panamanian cases and you have the basis for a U.S. commando squad kidnapping Castro.

When the _U.S._ tries its living war criminals (Carter, Bush I, Clinton, Kissinger, Powell, Bush II, etc.) _then_ you can call it other than victor's justice.

Carrol