Zizek and capital punishment

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Mon May 28 19:51:15 PDT 2001

I was wondering if anyone on LBO-Talk knows what Slavoj Zizek's position on the death penalty is? I was reading his essay "Death and the Maiden" in which he said 1977 death row inmate Gary Gilmore's request for the governor of Utah to put him to death "profoundly shatters the humanitarian foundations of the opponents of the death penalty." Why? And is this, to Zizek, merely the refutation of a particular opposition to capital punishment or is he claiming Gary Gilmore's desire to be killed by the state invalidates any argument against ritual sacrifice by the state?

For a bit more context, the reference to Gilmore arose out of his critique, among other films, of _Dead Man Walking_, which Zizek was using in an effort to demonstrate the perversity of excess Goodness. Capital punishment was only addressed tangentially.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.