[Fwd: CHILD POVERTY RATES REFLECT FAMILY STRUCTURE, NOT RACE, ANALYSISSHOWS -5/01]

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed May 30 10:34:45 PDT 2001

At 10:02 AM 5/30/01 -0400, Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema quoted:
>Here is the Heritage Foundation's thinking on the family origins of
poverty, via

>> > Yet when black children and white children are grouped by levels of
single
>> > parenthood and welfare dependence the poverty rates for both groups are
>> > nearly identical, Rector found.
>> >
>> > "Any meaningful strategy to reduce the disparities between black and
white
>> > child poverty must focus on increasing marriage and reducing welfare
>> > dependence among blacks," he says.

In the next issue:

Popular myth has it that old people are more likely to die than young people, but when old and young people are grouped together by whether they were hospitalized before their death, the death rates for young and old are nearly identical. "Any meaningful strategy to reduce the disparity in mortality rates between young and old must focus on reducing hospitalization and health care dependence among the elderly," our researchers say.

wojtek