[Fwd: CHILD POVERTY RATES REFLECT FAMILY STRUCTURE, NOTRACE, ANALYSISSHOWS -5/01]

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed May 30 11:25:04 PDT 2001

At 02:08 PM 5/30/01 -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote

>Lest the pc crowd on this list starts screaming "culture of poverty" - this
>argument does not have to lead to the "family values" and "personal
>responsibility" mantra. It can be used to argue for an effective public
>education system that can overcome the shortcomings of nuclear families
>(whatever their roots) by teaching the disadvantaged kids the skills that
>their nuclear parents cannot.

no, it is merely used to ignore the fact that no matter how hard people try to behave and think middle class, that capitalism means that not everyone can even be middle class, that poverty is created by capitalism, not by poor schooling or by not knowing how to carry yourself or dress or appreciate fine art.

kelley

"i also would like an academic job. i am not very good at much else, plus i don't like following others' orders (and don't do it very well) or getting up in the morning for a 9 to 5. the idea of not being able to get an academic job makes me a little nervous since this is exactly why i went into a grad program." --Sarah M. Pitcher, Syracuse University (quoted w/ permission)