stereotypes

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed May 30 13:57:20 PDT 2001

At 04:28 PM 5/30/01 -0400, Kelley wrote:
>which makes you exactly like the kids you are complaining about.

I'm sorry, but you lost me. What is it exactly that you are arguing? Is it that

1. my own behavior (as a sociologist or otherwise) is not that much different from the behavior of other people?

2. my argument that 'social capital' (e.g. manners, aspirations, credentials, social connections) is an important requisite to attain a middle class status, so children whose parents cannot endow them with that 'social capital' are less likely to attain that status is not true?

3. you dislike my statement that I dislike scapegoating and blaming someone/thing else for one's actions?

4. you are generally pissed at my irreverent attitude toward a certain type of political and cultural discourse you seemingly identify with?

If 1, then save the bandwidth - I agree.

If 2, then make a counter-argument.

If 3 or 4, well, de gustibus non est disputandum....

wojtek