Morality for the Poor

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed May 30 15:35:30 PDT 2001

At 04:23 PM 05/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>And how exactly does capitalism do it? That is, who tells certain people
>that they should drop out of school, put baggy clothes on, start listening
>to (c)rap musing and doing drugs, and what does he do to enforce it? What
>happens to those people who do not want to go with the (capitalist) program
>and go to college and apply for office or academic jobs?

I don't know. This seems like another chapter of that great big book "Morality for the Poor." This is the book that tells us how if the poor studied hard and didn't do drugs, they wouldn't be poor anymore. Nonesense. If it's one thing Rosanne should have taught Americans, it's that the poor are poor because they have no money, not because they are lazy and have no taste. I mean, how did George Bush get to be president? Cause he worked hard, got good grades, and didn't do drugs?

Not everyone can go to college-- or rather not everyone can have "cushy" middle class jobs. Somebody has to carry bed pans, pick up the garbage, dig ditches, etc. Why, on top of that, they also have to be punished with poverty AND a bad rep. for loose morals beats me!!!

I still maintain that people do the best they can with what they've got. Please Woj tell me why an hour of my life is worth more or less than an hour of anybody else's life?

Joanna B.