stereotypes

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed May 30 22:46:33 PDT 2001

>>>which makes you exactly like the kids you are complaining about.
>>>
>>>now THAT's perversive.
>>
>>Nowadays, nearly everyone is ashamed of being called orthodox.
>>Even conservatives want to see themselves as heterodox. Among
>>leftists, it goes without saying that orthodoxy -- whatever it is
>>-- is a sin (if not a sin, certainly politically incorrect). In
>>part the fear of being called orthodox is a fear of being common,
>>ordinary, & unoriginal -- a very modern & modernist fear. It's a
>>fear that we should overcome; otherwise, political discussion gets
>>silly. "Party lines" should be rejected only when they are false,
>>not because they are "party lines."
>>
>>Yoshie
>
>being orthodox is no more a virtue than valorizing heterodoxy.
>demanding that we fall into a party line WTF that is, is rebelling
>against a dominant ethos in the same way the hallway hangers and woj
>and the cons and, why hell, even i do sometimes.
>
>by definition, party lines foreclose questions of the truth or
>falsity of the party line. it's the paradox of scientism. (yes,
>that's scientisim; not science. in case JF wants to know)
>
>kelley

I put "party lines" in quotation marks because _party lines proper_ can't exist without political parties. What's your political party? Do you belong to any? Do you work to build & promote it? I believe you don't. Most LBO-talkers don't either, I think.

When the term "party lines" is used by an LBO-talker, what is actually implied by it is something like "a notion widely accepted as truth." Some notions widely accepted as truth are actually false, but others are actually true. We need to reject the former, but accept the latter. In other words, "party lines" should be rejected only when they are false, not because they are "party lines" (= widely accepted as truth).

Yoshie