Categories? (was Re: The Left, The Public, was Re: Ideology....)

j.f. noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Wed May 30 23:36:17 PDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I was thinking of the old saying "comparing apples and
> oranges." Categories like "SUV drivers" (to which Carrol
> objected) and categories like "women" & "gay men & lesbians"
> are not of equal status politically, in that the latter have
> a history of oppression that has created the categories &
> made them socially painfully meaningful, out of which civil
> rights & liberation movements have grown, whereas the former
> don't.

Really? I drive 100 miles round trip each workday and I have at least as many reasons to group SUV drivers together as most people do "gay men & lesbians" (which I notice you chose not to bother defining although my 20 word request of you asked little else).

I find SUV drivers to be, in general, more careless, arrogant, thoughtless, and dangerous drivers and I have data gathered from driving 33,000 miles/year. I also note, with some interest, that these oversized, gas-guzzling, dangerous to other people vehicles are driven mostly solo. I do not think these characteristics are random or meaningless.

> In other words, the former are empirically precise and yet
> politically vacuous categories, while the latter are
> empirically imprecise and yet politically necessary
> categories (i.e., necessary until oppressions that gave
> birth to them disappear).

Really? Well you have most artfully (and hey -- I don't really blame you!) avoided explaining what "gay men & lesbians" are, even though you claim they are 'necessary' categories. Further, you have not explained why I should give them one more ounce of attention than I do the SUV drivers.

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com