Sullivan on the Barebacking Story

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 31 00:59:39 PDT 2001

--- Nathan Newman <nathan at newman.org> wrote: > I think Sullivan is mostly a big politically, but the following article is
> right, and I think pretty reasonable on the whole issue of sex and AIDS. I
> think the whole incident is pretty disgusting and shameful for those who
> promoted it and the media that reported it- Nathan Newman

-- Seth Ackerman <sackerman at FAIR.org> wrote: > Unusually cogent and eloquent. What exactly was the point of "exposing"

--- Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> wrote: >
> I agree absolutely with Seth. I do not care _for_ Sullivan's political
> views. These are fair game for attack. I do not care _about_ his private
> life. I think it is shameful that he should be put in a position where he
> feels he has to explain why he does what does to get a date.

jeepers creepers, not even Sunday and already the sermons have started. Perhaps my morals have been warped by all the British tabloids, but it struck me that:

1. The factual allegations of the rumour were true, and admitted to be so (after god knows how much pissing and moaning about "credibility" and trying to pretend to the casual reader that they weren't)/

2. Sullivan has (on occasions numerous enough that even someone like me who does his level best to avoid reading about infighting among nos amis les gays is aware of the fact) repeatedly pontificated on the sexual behaviour of others.

3. The sexual practices described are controversial to say the least, and quite possibly extremely dangerous and irresponsible. In particular, the notion that Sullivan can say "I am aware of this theory and the slim reed of research it is based upon. I have discussed the issue with my doctors, and my current boyfriend and my last boyfriend, both of whom are HIV-positive. Again, there is space for disagreement about this question, but to me, the evidence seems weak and hypothetical" and expect to have it taken at face value is silly.

It seems to me that quite apart from the criterion of "the public interest" (ie; the public are interested in something), it is quite salutary that the world be reminded that people's private lives are always more complicated and full of moral ambiguity and compromise than their stupid, hectoring bully-pulpit journalism. Sullivan had it coming.

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell