Query on US-China/US-Third World Trade

Saul Thomas stthomas at uchicago.edu
Thu May 31 10:35:23 PDT 2001

Recently in the South China Morning Post an anecdote appeared that raises some interesting questions:

--- "Perhaps more significant are mainstream US voices that simply argue that engagement with China is not vital. One US businessman tells of a visiting Democrat congressman to Hong Kong. SAR [the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region] trade officials impressed on the moderate politician the benefits that cheap Chinese goods provided to the US market. He apparently shrugged his shoulders and said: "Look, there are millions of poor people around the world who can do the same if we give them access to our market." " SCMP Saturday, May 12, 2001"Calm before the storm" by Simon Pritchard ---

To what extent is what the "moderate Democrat" said true? Has the US given China preferred access to its market and kept goods from other poor countries out? If it has, why?

I know that the US protects agriculture and some of its industries from foreign competition through a variety of means, but is it true that the US protects some industries from competition from some countries and not others? How do you find data on who the US opens its market to, and for what goods? Does anyone know of a good discussion of this?

Thanks,

Saul