Fwd: Re: Katha Pollitt on Andrew Sullivan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 31 14:43:31 PDT 2001

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:32:41 -0700 From: Katha Pollitt <kpollitt at thenation.com>

you could post this:

Andrew has made himself a public figure, and has made his presumed sexual behavior part of that public persona and part of his arguments in favor of various stands. Sometimes, indeed, his self-report is just about the ONLY evidence he puts forward: he takes testosterone and uses his one-man sample to make all sorts of ridiculous assertions about innate male-female differences. Lots of writers--most writers -- don't use their autobiography so freely, or so tendentiously. If, for instance, Doug or I--or, for that matter, Philip Roth or Anne Tyler -- had been discovered advertising for sex partners on the Internet few would care. But because Andrew has publicly attacked free-floating sex, and ridiculed gay culture in a fairly spectacular way, while cozying up to cultural conservatives from Pat Robertson to the Pope, it is indeed newsworthy that his own personal life resembles the lives he disapproves of so deeply.

As for bill and monica, I am aware that their affair was tenuously attached to a ridiculous lawsuit, thanks to millions of dollars of free legal counsel paid for by rightwing zillionaires. That may have put their behavior in the public domain -- although nothing they did was illegal, either, and Monica surely did nothing that deserved the Starr report. But the supposed sexual harrassment of paula jones does not mean everyone had to pile on bill and monica as they did. for example, andrew could have written a thousand columns SYMPATHIZING with pres clinton's sexual drivenness,which he shares, or wondering why it is so hard for people, gay and straight, to stay faithful. it would have been a good moment for him to wonder whether gay marriage was going to achieve the transofrmation of gay sexuality he had argued it would. ETC. But instead it was all attacking and bemoaning -- because Andrew wanted the republicans to win. That's all it was.

As for the 'right to privacy' -- rights have to do with laws, not gossip. That's all this is. You might just as well argue that because abortion is covered under the right to privacy I don't have the right to talk about anti-choice pundits who've paid for their girl friends abortions.

katha