"Happy Memorial Day, Mr. Kissinger"

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Thu May 31 18:05:29 PDT 2001

Gordon has a point. After the initial street party on the night of the war's end, none of us felt there was much to crow about. And we did feel tainted -- by association. I hadn't started paying taxes at that point, but just being a citizen of such a monstrous killing machine was enough to give me the horrors. Still is. One of the reasons I'm glad not to be living in the US is that I'm not contributing to its bloody coffers. At least that.

I may be especially sensitive to the association because, having grown up in Asia, Europe and N. Africa, I've spent more time than I'd like to receiving scathing comments about the States, 99% of 'em justified.

Funny moment that thought brings to mind: In September '83 I was crossing Checkpoint Charlie to visit friends in E. Berlin. Got to the E. German side and my little 2 CV was immediately swarmed by gruff German Shepherd dogs and scowling border control robots. One of the guards scoffed -- "Oh, American, eh. We've heard about your President Reagan." "Reagan? Can't stand the guy!" I said. The bot was transformed. Huge grin. "Hey!" he shouts to the next group of uniforms in my path. "This American hates Reagan! Let her through!" They didn't even search my car. ...Just as well, too.

Joanna S

----- my site www.overlookhouse.com news from down under www.smh.com.au