Change the thread title!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 04:15:19 PST 2001

>From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>
>
>At 31/10/01 07:39 +0000, you wrote:
>>>From: Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org>
>>>
>>>The price the left has had to pay for these remarkable victories by
>>>global
>>>civil society since Sept 11, is to be careful not to act in a sectarian
>>>way. To bite its tongue when ordinary people mourn 5, 000 killed in the
>>>WTC, and not hurl insults on the grounds that 20,000 children die a day
>>>unecessarily in this cruel capitalist world.
>>
>>"Ordinary people"? Not exactly the mot juste, Chris. I think a less
>>lofty tone is called for.
>
>We are obviously not on the same wavelength and I am not sure whether it is
>important.
>
>Anyone subscribing to a list like this presumably thinks it is important to
>think consciously about politics and economics. At least 80% of the
>population do not. They live their lives existentially, and where they have
>political or economic views these are simple reflections in the ideological
>realm of their class position and their limited experience.
>
>They are no less dignified than subscribers to this list. Perhaps more so,
>because they have the dignity of universality.

Yes, there are more pressing issues than whether we're on the same wavelength, Chris, and I don't want to harp on this point or seem pedantic. However, I think that casual use of a phrase like "ordinary people" when referring to the general public serves to objectify others and put them at a distance. I believe this aura of clinical detachment taints leftist public pronouncements too often and is one reason why at least 80% of the public, as you note, pay no attention to politics and economics, seeing them as remote from their lives and concerns. IMO, the left has to do a better job heeding public sensibilities and -- preferably without waving flags -- affirming solidarity with the community at large. In short, it has to convincingly get down with the folks it putatively represents.

I would stress one key distinction: heeding public sensibilities and being responsive to them does not mean the same thing as pandering to the public's worst, most shortsighted instincts. The latter, I fear, is exactly what is done by leftists who counsel political "realism" and think the left should do nothing to try to cool the U.S. public's war fever.

Carl