GOP corruption spree

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Nov 1 08:05:54 PST 2001

Ariana Huffington on the patriotic plundering of the federal treasury by the GOP house: http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/103101.html

"The so-called economic stimulus package that passed the House last week would have been scurrilous in times of prosperity. But in this time of national crisis it is, quite simply, grotesque.

The grisly details include a retroactive elimination of the corporate alternative minimum tax and a 10 percent cut in the capital gains tax. And on the other side of the Capitol, the Senate Republicans are proposing an acceleration of all the top-bracket tax cuts and a return of that old favorite, the fully tax-deductible three-martini lunch." (...) "Let history record that, after Sept. 11, our leaders brought the nation together and decided to fight the war on terrorism by making business lunches fully tax-deductible and levying no taxes on corporate profits patriotically funneled off shore. Call it Operation Enduring Avarice."

There's also a campaign against these bastards: http://institute.ourfuture.org/ads/ad.html

I thought I'd seen corruption at its worst here in Turkey, but this takes the cake.

Hakki Alacakaptan