WSJ: Actively Alienating Pashtuns

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 1 18:35:29 PST 2001

Michael Pollak wrote:

> [I can't say how embarassed I am for ever thinking Powell had
> an ounce of brain in his head -- especially reading his extended interview
> in today's WSJ. I can only think I must have been deeply addled by events
> and desparately in need of a straw of hope. Mea culpa.]

It's really not a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of fundamental intention -- in this case to maintain u.s. imperial power. I think it in error to speculate about the specific motives in the particular case -- oil, prestige, alliances, ideology, etc. -- but one simply has to assume that u.S. intentions are antithetical to human welfare and plan accordingly. I don't understand at all what Washington thinks it is doing, but I assume that their actions make sense (to them) in terms of their concrete objectives. And I assume we have to say no, to interfere with those actions to the best of our ability. And we have to make that our long range and permanent goal.

Carrol