Trolls from the New Republic

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Nov 1 19:05:08 PST 2001

At 10:01 PM 11/1/01 -0500, Aaron Page wrote:
>Ah... Well, my bad. Just joined the list recently--I guess I
>underestimated the level of snarkiness in force here. Even coming from the
>list administrator.
>
>I suppose I read the original post as more frustrated than hostile (though
>certainly a little hostile). Certainly I thought it was seriously asking
>for a response, for a debate. The fact that no one even considered
>engaging the man on his points is probably a function of the fact that
>this has become something of a private space, one that doesn't take well
>to strangers, differing views, etc.

ahh, doing research for a story as to whether Cass Sunstein's book is accurate or not.

geez, that guy was clearly a troll.

the problem with trying to discern what people think from mailing list archives is that most people tend not to discuss too much what they take-for-granted. their shared assumptions are rarely fleshed out. instead, mailing lists tend to be where we discuss where we differ. that's true of social life in general, but _very_ true of mailing lists.

kelley