Unjust, Unlawful, & Unproductive Re: Arguments for ground war

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 1 23:02:40 PST 2001

Greg Schofield wrote:

> Yoshie, in the abstract all your arguments are justified and good, but the Afghans are not living in the abstract - this winter means death, it is that which is the primary concern of internationalism.
>

> Yoshie, as I said your arguments are sound in the abstract. But the point is not talking abstractly, we should say all that you have said but we need to add to it temporal reality.

Greg, you are engaging in fantasy if you think the left can have any impact on the US policy in Afghanistan over the next few months. Whatever is going to happen this winter is already decided. This private fantasy you are spinning amounts to a rather cruel hoax.

Whatever the left does, we can't lie to people. Ane it is a rather crude lie to claim the left can make a difference in the short run.

Stop playing games and turn your attention to the actual question: What can leftists do now that will make a difference next year?

Carrol

P.S. For necessary qualifications of the argument stated here, see the following post:

Subject: Building the movement, and Carrol's "Impotence Thesis" Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 07:17:58 -0500 From: Lou Paulsen <wwchi at enteract.com>