Chaos Theory and Leftist Economics

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Fri Nov 2 14:41:49 PST 2001

It has always amazed me how much the Austrians talk about private "planning" but have no patience for public planning (to say the least). Discussing consumption theory, (Austrian economist Ludwig) Lachmann once wrote "If firms can make plans, why not households?" And why not, I wanted to ask him, not neighborhoods, communities, cities, states, nations, or regions? I suppose the answer would be, they can, as long as they're privatized.

> The Hayek crowd has pushed hardest in this direction, arguing that
the
> spontaneous order of markets is the appropriate response to chaos,
since
> planning is virtually impossible in the face of chaos.
> --
========= Do the folks at Exxon-Mobil, Microsoft, Lufthansa Airlines, the Marines and the FBI know that?

Ian