Air Support to Ground Troops Re: Arguments for ground war

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 2 16:13:17 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Do nothing. You win.

I'm not really interested in winning or losing. I'm interested in devoting thought to what leftists can usefully do in present circumstances, and it seems to me first necessary to identify what we _can't_ do. If we really can't do anything about those coming millions of deaths, then we owe it to ourselves and the world to be thinking about what we can do in a world in which those deaths have occurred.

To keep demanding that we "do" something when we simply cannot is rather obscurantist -- that is, it is a way of stopping thought by insisting that thought focus on intractable questions, thereby blocking focus on potentially tractable ones.

Carrol