Chaos Theory and Leftist Economics

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Nov 2 17:09:54 PST 2001

Thomas, here is a note that Rakesh Bhandari sent me about the subject. I would only add that Schumpeter distinguishes between Depressions and what the Germans called a Secondary Depression. The first is a necessary part of the capitalist system for Schumpeter.

michael, don't forget your old teacher Stolper using the insight of chaos maths to provide theoretical bases for a restricted form of interventionist public policy. "The Theoretical bases of economic policy: the Schumpeterian perspective" J Evolutionary Economics (1991)1: 189-205. The analysis of multiple equilibria in a dynamic setting, the possibility of suboptimal outcomes as a result of feedback, the scope for intervention in fashioning the system's outcomes--all this seems interesting, but Stolper follows his master into irrationality when he suggests that the movement from recession to depression is essentially caused by bad govt policies.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901