Chaos Theory and Leftist Economics

Ted Winslow egwinslow at home.com
Fri Nov 2 17:18:49 PST 2001

Ian wrote:

> Well, there are rigorous logic[s] of non-identity and the above does
> sort of presume that Hegel's--and Whitehead's-- notions of on IR
> internal relations are the final word on the issue. For an excellent
> take on possible alternatives see Carol Gould's wonderful 'Rethinking
> Democracy.' Also take a look at Francisco Varela's 'The Principles of
> Biological Autonomy' and Michael Conrad's 'The Price of
> Programmability' in 'The Universal Turing Machine: A Half Century
> Survey' edited by Rolf Herken.

There's no argument here. I reproduced Whitehead's *argument* for you. It's very clear. It's about any form of reasoning that makes use of the "variable". As he indicates, It doesn't just apply to algebra. One thing plus another thing only makes two things if the identities of the things added together are maintained in a way that makes the outcome of the process of adding them together (changing their relations) "two things". Where is the mistake in this reasoning?

How explicitly does Carol Gould improve on Hegel and Whitehead's concept of internal relations?

Ted