Radio France confirms Laden / CIA meeting]

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Nov 3 03:20:53 PST 2001

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. What's it look like to you, James?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/190144.asp

(...) As his unclassified CIA biography states, bin Laden left Saudi

Arabia to fight the Soviet army in Afghanistan after Moscow’s invasion in

1979. By 1984, he was running a front organization known as Maktab

al-Khidamat - the MAK - which funneled money, arms and fighters from the

outside world into the Afghan war.

What the CIA bio conveniently fails to specify (in its unclassified

form, at least) is that the MAK was nurtured by Pakistan’s state security

services, the Inter-Services Intelligence agency, or ISI, the CIA’s

primary conduit for conducting the covert war against Moscow’s occupation. (...) Indeed, to this day, those involved in the decision to give the

Afghan rebels access to a fortune in covert funding and top-level combat

weaponry continue to defend that move in the context of the Cold War. Sen.

Orrin Hatch, a senior Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee

making those decisions, told my colleague Robert Windrem that he would

make the same call again today even knowing what bin Laden would do

subsequently. “It was worth it,” he said.

“Those were very important, pivotal matters that played an

important role in the downfall of the Soviet Union,” he said.

HINDSIGHT OR TUNNEL VISION

It should be pointed out that the evidence of bin Laden’s

connection to these activities is mostly classified, though its hard to

imagine the CIA rushing to take credit for a Frankenstein’s monster like

this. (...)

What the writer Michael Moran fails to mention is that there was a MAK office in NY. Was the ISI running that one too or had the CIA dispensed with its proxy in this case?

Hakki Alacakaptan