Brad weighs in

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 3 07:07:31 PST 2001

[I was corresponding with Brad DeLong about other matters, and happened to mention I missed his presence on the list. Thought some folks might be interested in his response.]

As you recall, I am taking a mental health break in order to avoid having engraved upon my soul the conclusion that the global left are a bunch of malignant fucks who are so afflicted with Nietzschean ressentiment that they have lost every clue to the idea that they are supposed to be trying to build Utopia.

I am reading _National Review_, the _Weekly Standard_, and the _New Republic_--and they are very effective indeed at pushing one back to the left...

I think that what the global left is trying to say (when they aren't being malignant fucks... Nietzschean ressentiment... lost every clue...) is that force "administered" by the current U.S. administration and military is unlikely to make matters better, and that 1/10 of the energy devoted to bombing goatherds in Afghanistan would achieve much more in the way of positive anti-terrorist results if devoted to making the Saudi princes behave like a proper client state. I think that they are wrong in this--that the Saudi princes do not behave like a proper client state because they do not have to, for they have the oil and we depend on it--but it is, at least, an argument...