boiling Lance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 3 11:19:59 PST 2001

Lance Murdoch wrote:

>Regarding the ironic "the Mexican grocery bagger is never a queer
>herself", I respond, the queer is never a Log Cabin Republican
>herself? I have met queers of a Republican bent, although their
>marginalization usually has makes them more in a libertarian
>capitalist mode. Didn't Goldwater bash the religous right and
>praise gay rights or something before he went up to the big cattle
>ranch in the sky? Again, the separation between left wing social
>and economic issues.

Sure there are gay Republicans, and there are black Republicans too. In both cases, they're rare, and for a reason - it's a party that oozes with sexual and racial bigotry. That's not to say the Dems are angels, but the Republicans are full of scary people. As Joel Kovel points out, they're the tough guy party, the stern father, and the Dems always try to emulate them but fail. Someone said here during the election that black people look at Republicans and see white sheets. Those sorts of position on sex and race fit nicely with enforcing a labor market structure that is highly skewed by sex and race. That's not it's all about, of course; capitalism would still be stratified by class even if it were race- and gender-blind. But that's the world we live in now. The labor movement has had plenty of problems with sex and race, hasn't it? You can't separate out the economic realm from all that other stuff so easily.

Doug