Brad weighs in

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sat Nov 3 17:14:08 PST 2001

Peter K. wrote:
> >> I'm mean they're for privatizing social security, no?
> >
> > (I wrote) Umm, well, no.
>
> My bad. That's why I was asking.

Sorry. My bad for being an asshole.

Peter wrote:
> Yes I've met some too. Who are some of the better New Republic writers
> in your opinion?

No one is as far left as even Eric Alterman. However, I find that columns that Judis pens on electoral politics and Chait writes on budgetary issues to be quite informative. They're probably not worth reading if you don't care about the inter-party squabbles between the Dems and Pubs.

Peter wrote:
> Beinart is just as bad as Kelly and Sullivan in my opinion.

Beinhart isn't a full-fledged neocon like Kelly or a Tory like Sullivan. However, he hates that anti-globalization and Naderite left with an apparently unrivaled passion. That probably has a lot to do with the guy singing his paychecks.

(If anyone's interested, Alterman has taken shots at Peretz's anit-Arab racism in the past.)

-- Luke