Australian Political Parties in Need of IQ Test

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Sun Nov 4 00:48:41 PST 2001

Gee, the Australian Labour Party is going to stop burning native forests for electricity generation until a group of 'independent' people have a chance to think about whether it might be the right thing to do or not. .......Is there an IQ test for political parties? [But maybe we need a 'lie-detector' test too?] Brenda

SAVE FORESTS ALLIANCE WELCOMES ALP REVIEW OF BURNING NATIVE FORESTS FOR ELECTRICITY GENERATION

The Save Forests Alliance, comprising 18 national, state and regional conservation groups cautiously welcomed the announcement by Kim Beazley today that the ALP will impose an immediate moratorium under the Renewable Energy Electricity Act on the use of native forest material for electricity generation while an independent review of the likely impacts is conducted.

The moratorium would remove the immediate threat of native forest biomass undermining the genuine renewable energy sector, which is the fastest growing industry sector in Australia - outstripping growth in IT and Tourism (22,000 new jobs have been created in this sector, mostly in regional Australia, over the past 5 years).

The review would examine the impacts of using native forest wood for electricity generation on greenhouse pollution, forest biodiversity, biomass extraction and the plantation industry.

If the review finds any significant impact on biodiversity or greenhouse pollution or an unsustainable increase in biomass extraction from our forests, the ALP will amend the Renewable Energy Act to exclude the use of any native forest fuel. The environment movement is confident that any genuine review process will rule this industry out.

Proposals currently on the drawing board in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania would result in more than 2 million tonnes of native forest wood being consumed in power furnaces. This new woodchip industry would open up avenues for destroying forests that are unwanted by the export woodchip industry (which exported a record 7 million tonnes of chips last year). Many old growth forests and even rainforests (in Tasmania) are at risk.

Roy Morgan research conducted earlier this year demonstrated overwhelming community opposition (88%) to the idea of burning native forests for electricity.

Until this announcement the Regional Forest Agreements have been used by both Liberal and Labor as an excuse for open slather in our unprotected native forests.

Under the Howard government, export woodchipping and permanent clearing of forests for plantations has sky-rocketted and we are witnessing an unprecedented onslaught on irreplaceable old growth forests.

Forests are rare in the Australian landscape. Only 5% of Australia is forested. Half our forests have been permanently cleared. Only 8% of the old growth forests standing when Europeans arrived are still standing today. Yet forests are home to more than half our terrestrial biodiversity and more than 113 endangered or threatened species of wildlife live in Australia's forests. Forests are crucial for our climate and our water supply.

While this announcement is encouraging, the Federal ALP still needs to recognise and act on the severe failings of Wilson Tuckey to protect our forest heritage. There are no excuses for allowing the ongoing destruction of old growth forests.

Contacts:

Virginia Young, Acting National Campaign Director, The Wilderness Society, mobile 0417 223 280 Susie Russell, North East Forest Alliance, mobile 0429 655 044

The Save Forests Alliance includes, The Wilderness Society, Australian Conservation Foundation, North East Forest Alliance, the Nature Conservation Council of NSW, Cobaw & Wombat Forests Action Group, and the Concerned Residents of East Gippsland.

This message comes to you from The Wilderness Society's Media Release List. Subscribers to this list receive Wilderness Society Media Releases via email as soon as they are added to our website. This is a free, low-volume, announcement-only email list, so you won't get bombarded by messages from other people on the list.

The Wilderness Society is a national, community-based, environmental advocacy organisation whose mission is to protect, promote and secure the future of wilderness and other high conservation areas. Since its formation in 1976, The Wilderness Society has been instrumental in the protection over seven million hectares of wilderness in Australia, including Kakadu, the Daintree, Kangaroo Island, south west Tasmania, Victoria's mallee woodlands and Australia's sub-Antarctic Islands.

To take action on behalf of wilderness today, visit our website at http://www.wilderness.org.au/

Email: campaign at wilderness.org.au

Join The Wilderness Society - become a Wilderness Defender from just $15/month, Membership Freecall 1800 030 641