Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"? Re: Green Party official busted at gunpoint

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 4 10:28:56 PST 2001

Bravo, Yoshie! It's absolutely lethal, also stupid, to denigrate civil liberties as "white skin privilege." It's outrageous when anyone is denied due process and in fact reasonable respect, and there should be no smirking when a white middle class person is abused, any more than there should be indifference when a poor black person is. People might recall that the legal basis of applying the Bill of Rights to the States is the 14th Amendment, created to enforce the civil rights of blacks, and that the official name of 42 USC 1983, the sattute under which you sue state governments for deprivation of your constitutional rights is the Anti-Klan Act. jks