Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"? Re: Green Party official busted at gunpoint

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 4 10:36:08 PST 2001

>At 11:19 AM 11/4/01 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>>>but Art is entirely right: only an ignoramus would act like she
>>>did and then be outraged about what happened to her. she's an
>>>ignoramus because she is privileged by white skin and middle class
>>>status. only a white, middle class person who's never dealt with
>>>the cops the way that cops treat people of color and poor whites
>>>would be outraged that they got treated like shit when they
>>>resisted power, authority, the law. it's a survival skill you have
>>>to learn, blacks far more than poor whites, that's for sure.
>>
>>Due process, presumption of innocence until proven guilty, freedom
>>of conscience, freedom of association, etc. are *civil rights and
>>liberties*, to which *both whites and people of color* should make
>>*vigorous claims of entitlement*. Calling them *privileges*, white
>>or male or otherwise, works against us (whatever our color, despite
>>our intention), because doing so suggests that such are
>>preposterous luxuries to which none of us should make a claim of
>>entitlement & that whites should do without them since many blacks,
>>Latinos, Arabs, etc. are often denied them.
>
>she behaves as a privileged white woman when she:
>
>1. writes a press release outraged at being searched and detained
>without ever making one single gesture at the fact that this kind of
>thing happens all the time to people of color
>
>2. simultaneously cops an outraged attitude at being mistreated for
>engaging in civil disobedience while bragging to McCullagh about it.
>well, duh, engaging in civil disobedience is supposed to get the
>guys with guns pissed off. failure to recognize how awkward that
>looks is privilege, plain and simple. any black person in her shoes
>would think twice about exaggerating for fear of what it would make
>her or his people look like.
>
>3. when she and others leap to the unwarranted conclusion that it
>must be her politics, not her ticket purchasing habits that got her
>searched and subsequent behavior that got her detained for
>questioning. anyone who's been at all hassled by the cops knows that
>half of it is about stopping you for the slightest pretense and then
>getting in your face so you screw up and give them a reason to
>arrest you. which is exactly why i said i wished she'd just have let
>the story rest on its merits: what a better opportunity for showing
>how intimidation by the police state works.
>
>as i said, the situation--getting searched is bad enough as it
>is--but writing a press release that suggests that she got searched
>at gun point, got detained at gun point, and that it was because of
>her politics was and remains an embarrassment to the left. she
>clearly states that she was marked for a search and then offered a
>flight at four. what kind of ignorant people does she think she's
>dealing with when she suggests that her right to travel was impeded
>because of her politics.
>
>kelley

My advice to leftists who wish to oppose police & other repressions by the state is, "Don't look for perfect 'innocent victims' who are at the same time politically correct & agreeable in every way, because you won't have _any_." The point is to oppose the "USA Patriot" Act & other measures of repression any way you can, period.

Also, don't wait to oppose political profiling until you actually have cases in which such is _officially confirmed_ by airline & law enforcement authorities, because, by then, it will have become far more difficult than now to oppose it. Demand disclosure & voice opposition _now_, not later. Put them on notice that you do & will resist it if they dare.

Finally, you don't have to link your demands to the Oden case _at all_, if you feel "the left" is being embarrassed by her, though I disagree with you on it. Some of your criticisms in fact make no sense at all, e.g., your claim that Oden engaged in "civil disobedience" (= consciously breaking law to make a political point, sometimes with a view to getting publicly arrested); not even airline & security officials made such a claim!

"This kind of thing happens all the time to people of color," but such is no reason for a white woman (or man for that matter) not to be *outraged* when it happens to her (or him). To repeat, due process, presumption of innocence until proven guilty, freedom of conscience, freedom of association, etc. are *civil rights and liberties*, to which *both whites and people of color* should make *vigorous claims of entitlement*. Calling them *privileges*, white or male or otherwise, works against us (whatever our color, despite our intention), because doing so suggests that such are preposterous luxuries to which none of us should make a claim of entitlement & that whites should do without them since many blacks, Latinos, Arabs, etc. are often denied them. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>