Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"? Re: Green Party official busted at gunpoint

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 4 11:25:46 PST 2001

>>No one has denigrated civil liberties as white privelege. Some
>>people have denigrated Ms. Oden's surprise as white privilege.
>
>specifically, i was pointing out that it was her surprise coupled
>with her own recognition that she was engaging in civil
>disobedience. to be surprised that you get the boot on your neck,
>while bragging about how you were also resisting their authority is
>an unthinking response born of white, middle class privilege.

Since when has the Oden case become a matter of "civil disobedience" (= consciously breaking law to make a political point, sometimes with a view to getting publicly arrested)? Not even airline & security officials made such a claim!

Why is it wrong to be or act "surprised" when you lose pieces of your civil rights & liberties? Should we all expect to lose them anyhow & comply fast with authorities' demands without getting outraged if we happen to be singled out for extra surveillance? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Anti-War Organizing in Columbus Covered by the Media: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/media.html>