lbo-talk-digest V1 #5208

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Sun Nov 4 22:18:43 PST 2001

------------------------------

>Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 10:07:25 -0800
>From: Michael Perelman
>Subject: Re: Chaos Theory and Leftist Economics: 2nd note

>I should have added that chaos theory invalidates the tidy >proofs of
>neoclassical economics. So the Hayek people have a double >reason to like
>it: Chaos theory denigrates their enemies (the left) and >their
>competitors (neo-classical economics).

>--
>Michael Perelman

Have to add that in my experience, the "love" of the neoHayekian crowd for chaos theory has never been so profound as to motivate them to actually do any hard time with gaining a mathematical understanding of it (as opposed to windy babble about biological systems). All the rightist chaos theory apologetics along the lines Michael has descrbied (or at least, all of it that I've seen) has been at a very shallow level of udnerstanding indeed.

dd