An Update on our Universe Today

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Mon Nov 5 03:59:43 PST 2001

I wonder whether we can use the Leonid Meteor Shower on November 18 to sandblast a few things around the home? Brenda

Subject: Fw: Meteor shower

Copied from "Universe Today" newsletter;

I want to give you some advanced warning, because if you miss this year's Leonid Meteor Shower, you'll probably want to kick yourself. During the week before and after November 18, the Earth will pass through the trail of comet Tempel-Tuttle and be pelted with hail of sand-sized material. As the particles burn up in the atmosphere, we see streaks of light in the sky called meteors. This year is supposed to be special, with astronomers predicting anywhere from 800 (North America) - 8,000 (Australia) meteors visible per hour at the storm's peak -- on November 18th. I don't know if you've ever seen 8,000 meteors an hour, but I sure haven't. Astronomers have made inaccurate predictions about meteor storms in the past, and it's entirely possible that this one could be a dud, but just to be safe, make sure you include some time outside in your plans for Sunday, November 18.