Worms making the rounds.

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at tao.ca
Mon Nov 5 19:47:53 PST 2001

I want to warn radical email receivers.

Several times recently I have recieved an email from addresses with seemingly normal names- Mary Smith, Jim Robertson, whatever- and the text was about doing jail solidarity work, or doing a project against the war or the like.

They came with an attachment. The attachments had a text that indicated a similar file. The extension has been either .exe or .pif. These are worms. I do not know the type, but one of the radicals who received this has alerted people previously.

The texts are usually the kind that a radical would trust with an attachment. They are sent out privately, so I'm thinking this is deliberate cyber-attacks on the left. The language is very "modern" among left rhetoric, a line is:

"In our jail-based groups, we create an atmosphere of personal and social change inside one of the most repressive institutions in the U.S.

Jacqueline Robarge, the Coordinator of Power Inside, has been a community activist [...]"

Thus, I have reason to believe that radicals whose email addresses are flushed out in one way or another (public archives on the internet, for example) are being targetted systematically.

Consider that a warning.

------------------------------------------- Macdonald Stainsby Rad-Green List: Radical anti-capitalist environmental discussion. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/rad-green ---- Leninist-International: Building bridges in the tradition of V.I. Lenin. http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/listinfo/leninist-international ---- In the contradiction lies the hope.

--Bertholt Brecht