lbo-talk-digest V1 #5222

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Mon Nov 5 23:16:23 PST 2001

>this from the man who writes fuck me pink and fuck fur >and feathers.
gimme
>a break.

>kelley

I hope that my swearing is typically directed at a cold and unfeeling universe, rather than at specific individuals unless they deserve it. I'm complaining on grounds of sound anti-inflationary policy; if we start slinging the high-octane verbals around over a relatively trivial misdemeanour like this, we're going to run out of nasty things to say to the genuine "fucking idiots" and "cracker bastards" out there. I'd also point out in this context that "punk-ass bastard" is, unless I misunderstand, a homophobic epithet relating to prison rape, which appears to be upping the ante somewhat.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:06:57 -0600 From: Carrol Cox Subject: Re: lbo-talk-digest V1 #5208

>Would it be possible to expand this and say all the chaos >theory not
>written by mathematicians or physicists has been a very >shallow level of
>understanding indeed -- that understanding usually being a >mere series
>of speculations around the suggestiveness of the word >"chaos"?

Depends on whether you'd call Barkley Rosser and his colleagues mathematicians or economists. The Santa Fe axis have done some serious thinking about chaos and complexity theory, including actually doing the maths, and they don't seem to come up with conclusions which are recognisably neo-Hayekian. JBR had a primer on introducing complexity mathematics to undergraduate macro teaching on his website, but I've forgotten the address.

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:13:46 -0500 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: Max's wager

>Come over for a visit, James; I'll happily put you up at no >cost.
>Anthrax in the mail, tales of suitcase nuclear bombs that >would cause
>"all of Manhattan below Gramercy Park to disappear" (I'm >below
>Gramercy Park right now, so I take this kind of personally). >See how
>long your sang remains froid.

>Doug

It's horrible, but you get used to it. It took me about seven years of living in London to reach the point at which one can hear a report on the radio that a bar one had been in two weeks ago had been blown up and just think "how horrible" and carry on making a cup of tea as if it had no relevance to your life. But you do get to that point.

dd