Leftists (white) and Black Liberation, was Re: Civil Rights

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Nov 6 10:12:17 PST 2001

Hi,

I agree with the arguments being made by Art and Carrol. It is the failure of a still too-White, too-male too-straight left to build bridges across those boundaries of privilege that restrains effots to put together a mass movement for social and economic justice. This is also the argument of cross-boundary activists such as Bernice Johnson Reagon and the late Audrey Lourde.

"The real act of discovery lies not in finding new lands, but in seeing with new eyes"

--Audrey Lourde

Bernice Johnson Reagon has discussed the practical problems of coalition work in terms of risk and discomfort. She built a metaphor around her problems breathing due to being at a high altitude for the first time at a 1981 meeting of women in Yosemite National Forest:

"You got one group of people who are in strain--and the group of people who are feeling fine are trying to figure out why you are staggering around, and that's what this workshop [on coalition politics] is about this morning."

"I wish there had been another way to graphically make me feel it because I belong to the group of people who are having a very difficult time being here. I feel as if I'm gonna keel over any minute and die. That is often what it feels like if you're really doing coalition work. Most of the time you feel threatened to the core and if you don't, you're not really doing no coalescing."

--Bernice Johnson Reagon

= = = = = = = = -Chip Berlet

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 7:34 PM Subject: Leftists (white) and Black Liberation, was Re: Civil Rights