Bush compares Taliban to Communist regimes

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Nov 6 23:32:17 PST 2001

At 07/11/01 00:50 -0500, you wrote:

>Bush compares Taliban to Communist regimes
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - -
>By SCOTT LINDLAW
>
>Nov. 6, 2001 | WASHINGTON (AP) --
>
>President Bush on Tuesday compared Afghanistan's Taliban regime and its "mad
>global ambitions" ...

There is a grain of materialist truth in this.

Muslim fundamentalism has an element of the pan-African, pan-Arabian, now pan-Muslim form of national bourgeois resistance to colonialism and neo-colonialism.

Brought up to date with the late twentieth century, including the increasingly global environment, with generous funds from oil revenues and the semi-national bourgeoisie (who can alternate between playboys and zealots) the movement does have global ambitions. It wants a Taliban or a Wahabi regime in every Arab land and a united opposition to the global ambitions of George Bush.

Bush does not realise that the USA's global ambitions are also mad, because he has established economic and military power behind them, and the custom of other countries treating the US as the hegemon.

But there is another way of seeing reality. It is a sign of Bush's jealous defence of US power, that he has to label that alternative global ambition as 'mad'.

While we would say that islamic militant fundamentalism is born out of a reactionary ideology (reacting to the oppressions of imperialism), it is arbitrary for Bush to label it as mad.

Time will tell how much the hegemonic power of the USA gets irreversibly wounded in this war.

Beneath the expressions of solidarity with the Coalition, there is a subtext of pan-islamic resistance

Chris Burford

London