Conservative women

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 05:08:49 PST 2001

All ditto in Australia, according to the Roy Morgan polling people. They have 6% more of men intending to vote Labor. Mind you, Morgan has Labor winning Saturday's general election easily, whilst all its competitors have the Tories winning by various margins. Up to the eighties, women were far and away the more conservative cohort, they turned 'left' for twenty years (or seemed to; the ALP just didn't turn as hard right as John Howard's Tories did) and now it looks like they're apparently on the move again.

You could actually read the female cohort as consistent throughout if you read the Tories as the more radical outfit (as I do).

Just got polled myself, actually (albeit not by RM); the questions were leading, would nevertheless have made for ambiguous data, assumed 'happy with the way things are' equalled Tory and 'on the wrong track' equalled Labor, and did not lend easily to cross-referencing.

Anyway, we could finally have an election where we have to wait for the West Australian booths to come in, which affords us easterners a chance to get a good skinfull in front of the box. Then comes Sunday the 11th. Armistice Day, the day they hung Ned Kelly, and the day they got rid of Gough Whitlam.

Another excuse for a drink.

Cheers! Rob.