Leftists (white) and Black Liberation, was Re: Civil Rights

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 7 07:15:10 PST 2001

James Heartfield wrote:
> I was not
> arguing that black people were innately conservative, only that they
> were not innately revolutionary. Wouldn't you agree?

Raising the question of innateness merely obfuscates with tautology. We are dealing with a historical reality of u.s. political life: progressive movements abort on the failure of white workers and white leftists to confront racism. In my original post I offered the anecdote concerning the 1969 Moratorium not as evidence but as a low-level instance of a major rhythm or dynamic of class struggle in the US. It _was_ true that the task was to build the anti-war movement. It was _also_ true that it was impossible to fight that battle unless the whites in it recognized that it could not be separated from the fight against racism.

In the United States the outcome of the class warfare between working class and capitalists turns on the success or failure of the war against racism within the ruling class. That is a given. Discussion must _start_ there, not endlessly become trapped in demonstrating again and again and again the primary fact of u.s. working-class history.

Carrol