Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?

Mina Kumar wejazzjune at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 07:47:18 PST 2001

>From: ravi <gadfly at home.com>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Civil Rights & Liberties or "White Privileges"?
>Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:57:43 -0500
>>
>actually no, i do not know what bush's friends had to say about mccain's
>adopted daughter, but more to the point: i am not contesting that
>indians have been targetted.

Less to the point, I'm afraid.

My point, viz McCain fille, wasn't that Indians were targeted, my point was that race isn't the product of one's own aspirations but of other's people's attitudes. To paraphrase Sartre, you are black if other people think you are.

And before anyone jumps, this isn't to say that Indians *are* black, as a generalization, it's to say that we can't pass for/as white/unmarked.

>perhaps the statistics point to significant differences here?

I'll start and you chime in when you're ready, ok? Sean Fernandes of SF, Waqar Hassan Choudhry of Dallas, Balbir Singh Sodhi of Phoenix, Attar Singh Bhatia of Richmond Hills, Kulwinder Singh of Seattle, Uday Menon of NY....