racist follies at Auburn

Christian A. Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 7 11:21:45 PST 2001

> [Hey Christian Gregory, got something to add to this?]

If it were just follies. As at many places in the South, the greek system at Auburn is completely segregated. Every time one of my students writes an essay defending how honorable fraternities and sororities are, I always ask them why they don't allow black people in them. They stare blankly and continue to babble about how they honor "diversity." It is classic denegation on a group scale.

The "League of the South," a southern "heritage" group with ties to other known militias and the KKK, is a chartered organization here at Auburn.

A member of one of the frats involved wrote to ask me to help him edit a letter to the Birmingham News in defense of the frats. Meanwhile, he's supposed to be doing research on fraternities and diversity for my class.

The level of outrage on the part of African American students and students in general seems pretty low. The only progressive coalition on campus--the Auburn Women's Organization (whose membership is almost entirely men)--has been silent. But perhaps something can be done about that.

Christian